Thursday, October 04, 2007

How Unique is This?


Are you looking for something truly unique? How unique is your hair? You might color it, cut it, curl it, straighten it donate it for a wig,or jewel it ;but have you ever thought of making jewelry out of it? That is exactly what happened between 1850 and 1870. I have a book showing several necklaces from woven hair and valued between one and three hundred dollars! I have some beads made from silk, but never would have imagined jewelry from human hair!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I have a C J Towle stering Rosary bracelt. It belonged to my mother. Wanted to find some information about it.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

About the usage of hair ~ yes, you brought back the book Little Women to my mind, where Jo March sells her hair for money to help the family. Lots of girls did that then. Now we donate our long hair for wigs for cancer patients.

penney705 said...

I think I prefer hair for wigs! It would better help a cancer patient! Thank for your comment!

penney705 said...

Thank you for your comment! I prefer hair for cancer patients also!

Jill said...

I've heard of hair jewelry and seen a few pieces, but didn't realize it was done that long ago. Interesting! Wonder how hair jewelry would go over now?