So you want to buy or sell collectibles online! Here are some things you need to know before you start.
1. Learn all you can about your collectibles. There are books available and a number of online sources for information. We have a new forum for discussing our favorite collectibles.
Visit my Gifts and Collectibles Forum for helpful tips, tricks, advice, etc.
* Do research to properly ID your item for the search engines. As a seller you should know what you are selling to give your buyer the best chance of finding what they are looking for in a search. I have often heard buyers exclaim over their newly purchased treasure. "These sellers just don't know what they have."
I have also seen sellers selling obvious fakes. This is something you really need to gaurd against as a seller.
* Use pictures in an auction. Items rarely sell with only one picture. Make sure your pictures are clear and have a magnified picture of makers marks and any defects.
* Be honest to a fault about what you have to offer. Don't exagerate either by enhancing your pictures or with words. It is better to lose a buyer than have an unhappy buyer so do describe everything and don't forget sizes or weight.
* Strive for fair shipping both for you and your buyer. A small handling charge will help to keep you from losing on shipping expense, however buyers really hate "excessive" shipping.
One of the first things I look at when deciding whether or not I will buy from a seller is their feedback! It is however difficult for new sellers to gain feedback so It is a good idea to also buy a few things especially if you are new to selling. You should start out with small purchases. Ask the seller questions. If they are quick to answer questions and friendly then they will probably give good service. Read the listings carefully and pay special attention to shipping cost and terms of service. If you are buying something that is usually marked, be sure there is a picture of the mark. If the seller can't or won't show the mark and it matters to you then go on to the next seller!
Have fun with listing. If you have fun your buying will enjoy your listing more.